Saturday Nite Fever

Saturday 4 February 2006


Last week this time, I was back home, having CNY reunion dinner with my parents. With the exception of my two elder sisters (who were married and spent that nite with their in-laws), we had a great time crowding around the table having steamboat. It's no surprise that most families will usually have steamboat for reunion dinner.


The last CNY reunion dinner I had with them was four or five years back, before Shane was born. Although I do have family dinners about once or twice per month, somehow, having a CNY reunion dinner with them spelt a different meaning altogether. But of course, my family will make it a point to have another reunion dinner within the first 15 days of the CNY and everyone will be present.


Maybe it's my vivid imagination or the sheer bliss of being home, I often felt that the nite sky was beautiful there than here. You see, I need only to look up from my garden and I could see the Orion's Constellation (also known as The Hunter). I didn't know it was the famous Orion until that nite at Vertigo, Bangkok, where I spotted the same sets of stars. Becks and Mark tried to educate me which was the belt, sword, buckle... but I was quite dumb, so till now, I still can't figure out what is what.


Oh, I didn't know today is the 7th day of CNY. Chinese believe that humans were created on the 7th day so thus, it's everybody's birthday!! Happy Birthday to you, and you, and you and you! Happy Birthday Everyone!!!


And so since it's our birthday, I decided to cook dinner tonite for myself and Shane instead of ordering pizza. I love home-delivery food sometimes, no need to crack my already cracked-brain on what to cook, and best of all, no washing is needed after that, except washing my own oily hands.


SO I cooked something simple and easy to eat. An East meets West dinner. We both like to have soup, if possible, with our meals, so here you go:


White Radish with Spare Ribs Soup: topped up with mushroom and clams! Our favourites!! I normally add in dried cuttlefish or dried oyster in my soup to make it tastier. Oh, never throw away the 'stock' that comes with the clams, pour them into your soup and it will add another distintive taste to it. As for the clams, don't add them in until five minutes before eating, otherwise, it will be tough.


I made tenderloin steak for myself. I like it with all sort of spices, mainly all types of peppercorns and the special 1-step seasoning from McCormick. I love fresh garlic too. Lots of it! Sometimes I may add on a little red wine, or honey or even margerin.


Here, I marinated it using only peppercorns mix and the 1-step seasoning with lotsa garlics. I used the bread toaster instead of the oven and baked it for a max of 15 mins coz I like it slightly medium rare. But if you would like to use bread toaster to bake your steak, do check every five minutes to prevent it from being over-cooked if you prefer certain doneness.




An eager Shane, waiting for his dinner!




The Soup: End product.




My Humble-Unfurnished-Steak completed with Réserve de La Comtesse 2000, a CNY gift from Champion. Bon Appétit!




This is how I like my steak.




It's not that rare as it seemed here but its very tender and very juicy!!




Oiishii!!!




It's always tiring after cooking. I enjoy cooking but hate the aftermath of it. Cleaning, washing, drying, keeping... I think I'm having a fever now!! ;P




Nitey Nite from Shane.


No comments: