Chinatown, Chinatown!

Thursday 26 January 2006


I was at Chinatown yesterday with Shane and Mommy Alison. I wanted to show Shane some of the customs and traditions of what we Chinese do to welcome the new lunar year.

When I was a kid, I look forward to this day, where I have pretty frocks to wear and marvelicious cakes and goodies to savour. And, soft drinks all day long!! I was totally out of control! That was when I started cultivating a taste for Schweppes Ginger Beer (in case you are unaware, there's absolutely no alcohol content!)



Now that I have my 'alcohol-drinking' license, I turned it into delicious cocktails. Here's two recipes I found:

The Dark And Stormy:
50ml dark rum
Schweppes Ginger Beer top
1 lime quartered and squeezed

Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Serve with two straws.

The Moscow Mule:
50ml Vodka
Schweppes Ginger Beer top
Dash of Cassis
1 lime quartered and squeezed

Build all ingredients in a highball filled with ice. Serve with two straws.


Oh, how can I forget those red packets? I was the recipient of those powerful new purple, red and blue notes until five years back. Ouucchhh, I feel the pinch now and my face is turning a ray of colours. . . =)

But I do find joy in shopping for new year goodies and decorating my house though. But this year, I have to constantly remind myself not to overbuy. You see, I have the habit of buying a lot A LOT and ended up throwing most away coz they would have expired by the time I was ready to eat them. Yes, that's me, an impulsive buyer! In fact, I have a bad habit of suffocating my fridge with too much food and most of them suffered the same fate like those expired new year goodies =(

Know what, I didn't know there's a wet market @ Chinatown! Now I know where else to get Shane's favourite Cod Fish! They all looked so fresh and nice. And plenty of fruits! I love FRUITS!!


Btw, I'm a Cantonese, and people used to tell me that Cantonese love soups and most of their meals must be accompanied by soup. This is so true for me. Some people also said that the Cantonese made the best soups too!! At least I like to think I am!! Here's some of the side ingredients I used in my soup.


Some of the common items we can find in most home on lunar new year:






Here's my goodies corner:

I was rewarded with a kiss at the end of our tour...



A tired Shane and a super-tired-make-up-melted me!



That evening when we got home, Shane insisted on riding his new bike @ the playground. Look at how happy he was!!


DSC02416

DSC02417

DSC02422
Shane absolutely adores this new friend of his!! A sweet girl next door!!

DSC02420
Although tired but this is exactly how I would love to spend all my days!! XOXO

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a good CNY!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you and Shane! Gong Xi Fatt Choy!

Anonymous said...

hey there shanewei kasic here! =D wow u guys seems to have lotsa fun!!! the pics are very well taken and i realised that both u and shane have the same smile...sweet and cute!!! hahaha hope you guys will have a very happy chinese new year!!! =D

Anonymous said...

where's my red packets??

Anonymous said...

Are you back yet? Would love to see updates.