Do You Pray?

Sunday 1 February 2009



En Kai was laid to rest three days ago, exactly nine days after his birth. I was told of him way before his birth.


I cried the day i heard about him which was the day of the Club 21 sale. Agnes bought two beautiful small blue rompers. I was admiring it and she told me her sister was expecting a pair of twins. I congratulated her but what she said next broke my heart. One of the twins had anencephaly, a congenital birth defect that occurs in approximately one in one thousand pregnancies. En Kai was the younger twin with anencephaly.


I cried the day i knew he left. I saw his picture. He was a very beautiful baby, in fact, the most beautiful i have ever seen. And he was brave, very brave and so full of love, so much so that his grandmother had to gently tell him to let go before he queitly went home to God.


Anencephaly, in laymen definition is "baby developed without a brain". It is a defect in the neural tube that fails to close and develop around 25th days into embryonic development. Most anencephalic babies do not live past a day and it's amazing En Kai live to nine days.


Dear readers, if you do pray, may i request you to say a silent prayer for En Kai and for all babies with this unfortunate condition?


"There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world".